It is nearly 2 years since I have sat quietly and written something to share. In the interim the price of oil has halved, fracking has slowed, ISIS has become a household name, Nepal has suffered the effects of a devastating earthquake and my beloved home nation of South Africa has seen the heart-wrenching effects of Xenophobia / Afrophobia tear apart the very fabric of our society.
During my absence I have had significant change in my personal and work life, that has essentially kept me occupied and away from doing something I really enjoy … writing, capturing my thoughts and effectively sharing my experiences as a travelling professional.
My travels have seen me crisscross the globe numerous times with visits to the USA, UAE, Qatar and India. The balance of 2015 holds the prospect of travel to Thailand, South Korea, India and the outside chance of a visit to the USA.
As I work across cultures and see the processes of engaging in these respective spaces it becomes clearer with each visit that as the human race we are seeking affirmation, acceptance and identity.
Each of us wants to be affirmed as valuable, seen, recognized and necessary.
Each of us wants to be accepted as “who I am”, “I fit where I am”, “I do not need to be something I am not”.
Each of us longs for an identity that clear states “I am the son of …”, “I work as a …”, “I am important because I …”, ” I lead …”, “I do this and that which makes me …”
As I prepare to travel in the next 24 hours time I have done some personal checks to ensure that I can stay the distance during a really busy time in my personal, family and business life. So what have I done to prepare and what have my personal checks led me to do? Here are some areas that I have adjusted and that I continue to tweak:
- Physical health check and visit to my doctor … discovered an ear infection !
- An accountability check with some close friends … I want to raise the bar in areas on my personal life.
- Personal insurance and investment checks with good advisers… protecting myself and my family.
- Conversations with my wife about our future… growing love and value.
- Conversations with and encouraging my 4 children… building legacy.
- Securing the tenure in our home for a further 2 years as we plan ahead… securing home base.
- Planning ahead to meet key people over the next 2 months to explore personal dreams and opportunities.
I hope this post has not been too abstract for the more technical followers, but I do hope it will set you off to do some personal checks and spur you on to action in the next season of your life.
PS* I hope to be writing a lot more!!!